Tuesday, October 05, 2004

MLP: About Defeatism

Ann Althouse drops this gem in her debate liveblog:

The litany of defeatism. People have died, people have died. When I turn on NPR in the morning, the first thing I hear is nearly always the number of persons who just died in Iraq, almost never in a context connecting those deaths to what they fought for, just dismal, hopeless death. Edwards takes that tack. "Iraq is a mess"--the grand simplification. A mess!

Recounting losses in this way is something that I have always found infuriating, yet I could not quite put a finger on why. I think she's got it, though. There is nothing wrong with talking about losses. However, if you are going to talk about them, don't just use them as statistics that further your agenda - honor them!

Blackfive's Someone You Should Know series does it the right way. Like this. Or this.